For many people, bariatric surgery is affordable because it is covered by their health insurance plan. People who do not have insurance coverage for bariatric surgery must pay for it on their own. This is called self-pay or cash-pay. Even without insurance, many people feel that the surgery is worth the investment in their health and seek out alternative methods of financing.
The self-pay fee for those without insurance generally costs:
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: $18,800.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: $14,500.
- Laparoscopic Placement of Band: $15,125.
- Gastric Dual Balloon: $ 7,200.
These fees include the surgical and hospital fees only, there will be additional out-pocket costs for office visits, testing, program fees, etc.
There are several ways to pay for surgery, including:
- Health insurance coverage for bariatric surgery
- Alternative financing options such as medical loans or home equity loans
- Borrowing from family or friends
Because every insurance policy is unique, it’s important that you thoroughly understand your Certificate of Coverage to know exactly what is and isn’t covered through your plan.